Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Food Labels

As I read the side of my Rice Dream rice milk carton my eye caught "NOT FOR USE AS AN INFANT FORMULA" in large, red capital lettering. 

Seriously? This concept makes my heart hurt. I understand that infant formula is expensive.  But rice milk is practically water! Sure, it's tastey and healthy, but not for the rapidly growing body of an infant. All I can say, in the nicest way possibly, to anyone who may be considering using rice milk, soy milk, cow's milk, condensed milk, Karo syrup (or heaven forbid powered potatoes) as a substitute for the outrageously priced infant formulas is "Could you at least consider breastfeeding?"  If you missed the boat and your baby is several weeks old now, think about re-lactation, it's completely possible. Or, use donor milk.  I have freezer full and I'm not even trying to stockpile.  There are so many resources out there for you, you don't have to jeopardize the health of your baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment